Our Historic Chestnut Grove School was built in 1896. It is the only surviving restored example of a one-room schoolhouse for black children in Clarke Country, and one of the few such schools remaining in Georgia.
The schoolhouse has a hipped roof with a decorative composition shingle pattern covering. The schoolhouse, located between Chestnut Grove Baptist Church and a small cemetery, is used for multiple purposes. It has been an instrumental part of the services and ministries of Chestnut Grove Baptist Church. It is truly a building that is standing tall in God’s name.